Friday, May 27, 2011

Hooky and the UAE

This came in from Hooky:

You may remember that I put in a complaint to the BBC when in the “Today” programme on 4 March John Humphrys called the late Shaikh Zaid “a very, very nasty man”. After some to-ing and fro-ing between me and the Assistant Editor of the programme, the BBC added the following – to be fair, in heavy type - to the website for 4 March: “In the course of this interview John Humphrys made reference to Shaikh Zaid bin Sultan Al Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates. We now accept that the description used was inaccurate” (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9413000/9413874.stm). I did not consider that this wording on a website constituted an adequate apology and I pursued my complaint with the BBC’s Editorial Complaints Unit.
Hooky has now recieved  a letter dated 6 May from the Head of Editorial Complaints.
He says: If I were in the BBC the sequence of events would cause me to pose a number of questions about the organisation’s procedures; but I do not propose to pursue the matter further.

No comments: